I like to use this DIY facial cleanser once every other day in the mornings to wash my face. It gently exfoliates, detoxifies and moisturizes my skin after a nights rest.
I would suggest only using this cleanser once per week if you have very dry or sensitive skin, as the baking soda may cause irritation if used too often.
I would not recommend using this cleanser to remove makeup or around the mouth or eye area. Please also do a patch test before using all over your face 🙂
1/2 c coconut oil
1 1/2 tsp activated charcoal powder (or the contents of about 5-6 capsules)
1 tbsp baking soda
6 drops Frankincense essential oil (I use Young Living)
6 drops Lavender essential oil (I use Young Living)
A few quick facts about the amazing ingredients in this cleanser:
Coconut Oil is antibacterial, anti fungal, and moisturizing. Naturally!
Activated Charcoal Powder draws out bacteria, poisons, chemicals, dirt and other unwanted toxins to the surface of skin.
Baking Soda is great for exfoliating and removing dead skin cells. It also brightens the complexion.
Lavender Essential Oil is calming and can help with certain skin conditions like acne, psoriasis, eczema, and wrinkles. It is also anti fungal.
Frankincense Essential Oil is used to reduce inflammation as well as disinfect.
Make this Exfoliating Cleanser:
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
Mix all ingredients well. I used a fork and it worked just fine. (You can also use a whisk if you like)
Try to get as many lumps out as possible, but don’t worry too much because the coconut oil will melt once it is warmed by your hands and face.
Transfer the mixture to glass air tight container. Allow to set for a few hours. Store covered in a cool, dark place.
Don’t worry if the consistency changes, as coconut oil tends to harden and liquify depending on its surroundings.
Here is what is looks like:
How to Use as a Facial Wash/Scrub:
- With warm water, wet a face cloth and hold over entire face for about 30 seconds to open up your pores.
- Take a small amount of the cleanser in your hands and gently apply all over face (avoiding lip and eye area completely)
- Gently massage the product in a circular motion for about 30 seconds.
- Wet your face cloth again with warm water and hold over face for a few seconds. Repeat this motion a few times until the product loosens up.
- Use the wet face cloth to remove any excess product from face. (Remember be gentle!)
- Splash face with cold water to close pores.
- Pat face dry with a clean towel.
- Moisturize with either a tiny bit of coconut oil or your favourite moisturizer.
As mentioned before, use once per week if sensitive or dry skin. I use this every other day only in the morning.
Please note I am not an expert and this is only my opinion from my personal experience using this recipe. If you have serious skin issues, please consult your dermatologist prior to trying this and always patch test!